At a Glance:
- This tour starts and ends in Arusha. Alternatively, this tour can start and end in
Dar es Salaam or Nairobi and we can book additional accommodation and internal flights upon request
- This tour is a private trek and run exclusively for you and can depart any day
- This tour offers non-participation, full service camping including the following equipment; all-seasons 2-person tents, mattress and pillow
- This tour can be customised to suit your needs perfectly. Ask us for a tailor-made itinerary, created just for you
- Watch the sun rise from the summit of Mount Meru, Tanzania’s second tallest mountain
Day by Day Itinerary:
Day 1: Mount Meru (L, D)
After breakfast you will travel to the Arusha National Park, located a short drive from Arusha and home to Mount Meru. With your Guide, Assistant Guide, Chef and Porters you will sign in at the Momella Gate where your trek will begin. In addition to the above team, you will also be joined by an armed ranger as you can expect to encounter buffalo, giraffe, zebra, colobus monkeys, antelope and elephants along the way.
You have two possible routes with both options ending the day at Miriakamba Hut. The first route travels through the forest towards the crater floor before a steeply climb while the second route climbs gradually through the grassland direct to the camp. Today’s trek will take 4-6 hours and you will have time to learn about the various species of flora and fauna. There are beautiful views of Arusha National Park and weather permitting, spectacular views of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Your Chef and team of Porters will have arrived at the camp ahead of you and prepared hot water for washing. Upon your arrival you can watch the sun set, relish in a delicious dinner and enjoy some well-deserved rest.
Overnight – Full Service Camping, Miriakamba Hut at 2,500m
Day 2: Mount Meru (B, L, D)
Today the path is steep and you will continue your ascent on a narrow and winding trail through the thick montane forest. There are streams of water to cross before you approach the moorland. Today’s trek will take 3-5 hours and on a clear day you will have good views of Little Meru as you reach Saddle Hut.
You will reach Saddle Hut in time for lunch and in the afternoon embark on a short walk to Little Meru. From here you can see the Kenyan border and the town of Ngara Nanyuki as well as Longido and gorgeous views of Mount Kilimanjaro.
After an early dinner you will retire to your tent before waking up before midnight for tea or coffee and a light snack. With your Guide, Assistant Guide and Porters you will begin your trek into the night.
Overnight – Full Service Camping, Saddle Hut at 3,500m
Day 3: Mount Meru (B, L)
You will climb during the night and the early hours of the morning on a steep grade to Rhino Point (3,000m) and on to Cobra Point (4,350m). The final hour of the climb will see you trek on a rocky ridge between the crater and inner cliffs of Meru. You will reach the summit in time to witness the sun rise offering spectacular views of the Ash Tray and Mount Kilimanjaro.
After plenty of time to enjoy the view you will descend to Saddle Hut where you will have a short rest before continuing to the Momella Gate. Here you will meet your vehicle and return to Arusha where the remainder of the day is at leisure.
Full Service Camping
Please email us for a tailor-made itinerary and price
Your Trek Includes:
- Return transport between Arusha and the Momella Gate in Arusha National Park
- Highly experienced and skilled English speaking Mountain Guide, Assistant Guide, Chef and Porters
- 2 nights full service camping including 2-person all seasons tents, mattress and pillow
- Meals as specified (B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner)
- Beverage Package: bottled water, soft drinks, juice, tea and coffee
- National Park and vehicle entry fees and all trekking permits
- Rescue fees
- All current Government taxes including the 18% VAT Tax
Airport Transfers and Pre/Post Trek Accommodation:
Airport transfer (avoid the chaos at the airport): $50 USD per car
Accommodation in Arusha: from $40 USD per person, based on 2-travellers, double/twin share with breakfast
Your Trek Excludes:
- Sleeping bag
- Tips (tipping is an expected, though not compulsory, component of any African safari. We are often asked for tipping guidelines and we are happy to make recommendations – please ask. It is one of the most direct ways that you can have a positive economic impact within the East African community. Although it may not be customary for you, it is of considerable significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, as an important source of income for those in the tourism industry).