THE SERENGETI TRAIL AND TARANGIRE
A 6 day safari travelling to Tarangire, the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater based on Mid-Range Lodge and Tented Camp accommodation
AT A GLANCE:
- This tour starts and ends in Arusha at Kilimanjaro International Airport or Arusha Airport. Alternatively, this tour can start and end in Dar es Salaam or Nairobi and we can book internal flights on request
- This tour is a private safari and run exclusively for you and can depart any day
- This tour offers mid-range accommodation with upgrades available
- This tour can be customised to suit your needs perfectly.
- This tour accepts children of all ages and discounts apply for children 0-15 years old with further discounts available for families sharing triple and quad rooms
- Witness the elephants and ancient baobab tress in Tarangire
- Travel the endless plains of the world-famous Serengeti
- Search for the Big 5 in the Ngorongoro Crater
- Meet the Maasai and learn about this nomadic tribe’s culture, beliefs and traditions
- Enjoy the comforts of a lodge and the romance of a tented camp in the heart of the Tanzanian bush
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY:
Day 1: Arrival Day
Welcome to Tanzania. Upon arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport you will be met by a Benson Safaris Tanzania Transfer Driver and driven to your lodge where the remainder of the day is at leisure – rest in your room, enjoy a swim in the pool or explore Arusha and the surrounding areas on one of our day tours – the choice is yours.
Overnight – Ilboru Safari Lodge, Arusha
Day 2: Tarangire National Park (B, L, D)
After breakfast you will drive to Tarangire National Park for a full day game drive. Tarangire is one of Africa’s little-known gems and should be on the itinerary of all lovers of wilderness and solitude. Its name originates from the Tarangire River that crosses through the park and is the only source of water during the dry season.
Tarangire’s landscape is incredibly diverse with a mix that is not found anywhere else on the northern safari circuit. It is dotted with ancient baobab trees, which the Maasai people believe are the first tree in creation, and large termite mounds. The dry season sees the harsh sun suck the moisture from the landscape, baking the earth a dusty red while the wet season brings dense bush and luscious high grasses. Famous for its large elephant population, it is also home to zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, waterbuck, baboons, dwarf mongoose, impala, buffalo, antelope and fringe-eared oryx. Predators include lion, cheetah and leopard. The swamps are shared by flocks of birds; green wood hoopoes, lovebirds, tallish herons, white bellied go-away birds and giant kingfishers. On drier ground you will find the kori bustard and the heaviest of the flying birds; the ostrich.
Overnight – Bougainvillea Safari Lodge, Karatu
Upgrade Your Accommodation – Tarangire Sopa Lodge, Tarangire National Park
Day 3: Serengeti National Park (B, L D)
Today you will drive to the Serengeti National Park which is one of Africa’s premier game parks. Driving through the Ngorongoro Conservation Area towards the Serengeti you will begin to experience the vastness of this territory and marvel at the multitude of animal and bird life while cruising through this acacia spotted savannah.
You will visit a Maasai Village in the Ngorongoro Highlands (optional) where you will meet the Elders, Warriors, women and children and learn about the culture, beliefs and traditions of Tanzania’s last nomadic tribe.
The Serengeti is Tanzania’s oldest and most popular national park and is also a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Serengeti is a year-round destination and each season has its own special highlight with the most famous being the annual wildebeest migration which is a once in a lifetime experience. You will game drive enroute before arriving into the Serengeti in time for a half day game drive.
Overnight – Kati Kati Tented Camp, Serengeti National Park
Day 4: Serengeti National Park (B, L, D)
Today you will venture deeper into the world-famous Serengeti on a full day game drive.
Overnight – Kati Kati Tented Camp, Serengeti National Park
Day 5: Ngorongoro Crater (B, L)
Today you will be rewarded with a full day game drive in the stunning Ngorongoro Crater which became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979 and is one of the only places on earth where mankind and wild animals co-exist is harmony. The Ngorongoro Crater is famous for Africa’s best game viewing as there is an ever present abundance of wildlife due to the permanent water supply on the crater floor.
Upon arrival at the Crater’s rim you will descend 610 metres into the Crater where your safari truly begins. Spot the endangered black rhino as well as wildebeest, buffalo, zebra, eland, Grant’s and Thomson’s gazelle and of course, giant tusked elephants. The Crater also has the largest known population of lions and you will also find leopards and cheetahs as well as scavengers such as spotted hyenas, jackals and rare wild dogs. Over 500 species of birds have been recorded within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and these include white pelicans and flamingos.
In the late afternoon you will return to Arusha for your final evening.
Overnight – Ilboru Safari Lodge, Arusha
Day 6: Departure Day (B)
Today you will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight.
This is a private safari, run exclusively for you and each vehicle holds a maximum of 7 clients. If an accommodation is fully booked we’ll suggest a comparable alternative where possible. All prices quoted are per person in USD (US Dollars) and are subject to availability and expire on the 31st December 2019. Please contact us for a quote for travel in 2020 and beyond.
|Number of Travellers||Price Per Person|
|1 Traveller (1 Room)||$3,500|
|2 Travellers (1 Room)||$2,615|
|3 Travellers (2 Rooms)||$2,225|
|4 Travellers (2 Rooms)||$1,955|
|5 Travellers (3 Rooms)||$1,850|
|6 Travellers (3 Rooms)||$1,755|
|7 Travellers (4 Rooms)||$1,710|
TRAVELLING IN THE GREEN SEASON?
Exclusive Green Season rates apply for clients travelling in April and May. Please ask us for a Green Season safari quote.
YOUR SAFARI INCLUDES:
- Arrival transfer from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to hotel
- English speaking Driver Guide (other languages available upon request)
- Custom built, extended, open-roof 4WD safari Land Cruiser with fridge and inverter
- Accommodation as specified
- Meals as specified (B-breakfast, L-lunch and D-dinner)
- Drinks during game drives (bottled water and soda)
- Unlimited game drives including park and vehicle entry fees
- Maasai Village visit
- Departure transfer from hotel to Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport
- All current Government fees and taxes
UPGRADE YOUR ACCOMMODATION:
Tarangire Sopa Lodge on Day 2 – from $110 per person:
Upgrade to the Tarangire Safari Lodge located in the heart of the Tarangire National Park for $110 per person (for a double/twin room) or $147 (for a single room).
ENHANCE YOUR SAFARI EXPERIENCE:
A Tanzanian holiday is a dream come true and a once in a lifetime experience for most of our clients. We understand that every traveller is different and we are proud to offer a range of optional activities to enhance your safari experience. Please note, all activities are subject to availability and prices are subject to change. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
Night Game Drive in Tarangire on Day 2 – $182 per person: Night in Tarangire is another world altogether. Witness the landscape waxed in a silver moonlight as giant elephants make their way into and out of the shadows and be sure to keep an eye out for eyes shining back at you from the spotlight. For logistical reasons we must book alternative accommodation at the Tarangire Safari Lodge located inside the Tarangire National Park and additional accommodation charges may apply. Please note, this tour is not suitable for children under the age of 12.
Olduvai Gorge on Day 3 – $36 per person: Visit Olduvai Gorge which is one of the most important paleoanthropological sites in the world for early human evolution. The site is significant in showing the increasing developmental and social complexities in the earliest humans. Here you will enjoy free time to discover the museum before continuing to the Serengeti.
Hot Air Balloon Flight in the Serengeti on Day 4 – $547 per person: Launch at dawn, rising as the sun rises above the breathtaking Serengeti you will gently float over the plains for around 1 hour. Upon your graceful return to the ground you will feast on a champagne breakfast under an acacia tree before beginning your full day game drive. Please note, this activity is not suitable for children under the age of 7.
Add a Beverage Package – $25 per person: Add beer and wine to your safari. Please note, this package is not available to clients under the age of 18.
Add Dinner in Arusha – $30 per person: Add dinner in Arusha on nights 1 and 5 at the Ilboru Safari Lodge.
Arusha Day Tours – We offer Arusha City Tours (half or full day tours), Coffee Farm Tours, Night Tours with Dinner or visit the Lengo Football Academy with Village Walk. Please ask us for detailed tour descriptions and prices.
YOUR SAFARI EXCLUDES:
- Drinks at hotels, lodges and tented camps unless otherwise stated
- Tips (tipping is an expected, though not compulsory, component of any African safari. We are often asked for tipping guidelines and we recommend $10-15 USD for your Guide per person per day. It is one of the most direct ways that you can have a positive economic impact within the East African community. Although it may not be customary for you, it is of considerable significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, as an important source of income for those in the tourism industry).