A TASTE OF TANZANIA
A 5 day safari travelling to Tarangire, the Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara based on Luxury Tented Camp accommodation
AT A GLANCE:
- This tour starts and ends in Arusha at Kilimanjaro International Airport or Arusha Airport. Alternatively, this tour can start and end in Dar es Salaam or Nairobi and we can book internal flights on request
- This tour is a private safari and run exclusively for you and can depart any day
- This tour offers luxury tented camp accommodation
- This tour can be customised to suit your needs perfectly.
- This tour accepts children of all ages and discounts apply for children 0-15 years old with further discounts available for families sharing triple and quad rooms
- Witness the elephants and ancient baobab tress in Tarangire
- Search for the Big 5 in the Ngorongoro Crater
- See the tree-climbing lions in Lake Manyara
- Meet the Maasai and learn about this nomadic tribe’s culture, beliefs and traditions
- Enjoy sundowners by the infinity pool as the sun sets over the horizon
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY:
Day 1: Arrival Day
Welcome to Tanzania. Upon arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport you will be met by a Benson Safaris Tanzania Transfer Driver and driven to your hotel where the remainder of the day is at leisure – rest in your room, relax in the manicured gardens, enjoy a swim in the pool or explore Arusha and the surrounding areas on one of our day tours – the choice is yours.
Overnight – Mount Meru Hotel, Arusha
Day 2: Tarangire National Park (B, L, D)
After breakfast you will drive to Tarangire National Park for a full day game drive. Tarangire is one of Africa’s little-known gems and should be on the itinerary of all lovers of wilderness and solitude. Its name originates from the Tarangire River that crosses through the park and is the only source of water during the dry season.
Tarangire’s landscape is incredibly diverse with a mix that is not found anywhere else on the northern safari circuit. It is dotted with ancient baobab trees, which the Maasai people believe are the first tree in creation, and large termite mounds. The dry season sees the harsh sun suck the moisture from the landscape, baking the earth a dusty red while the wet season brings dense bush and luscious high grasses. Famous for its large elephant population, it is also home to zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, waterbuck, baboons, dwarf mongoose, impala, buffalo, antelope and fringe-eared oryx. Predators include lion, cheetah and leopard. The swamps are shared by flocks of birds; green wood hoopoes, lovebirds, tallish herons, white bellied go-away birds and giant kingfishers. On drier ground you will find the kori bustard and the heaviest of the flying birds; the ostrich.
In the late afternoon you will drive the short distance to Maramboi Tented Camp where you can enjoy sundowners by the pool and watch the sun set over the horizon.
Overnight – Maramboi Tented Camp, Tarangire
Day 3: Ngorongoro Crater (B, L, D)
Today you will be rewarded with a full day game drive in the stunning Ngorongoro Crater which became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979 and is one of the only places on earth where mankind and wild animals co-exist is harmony. The Ngorongoro Crater is famous for Africa’s best game viewing as there is an ever present abundance of wildlife due to the permanent water supply on the crater floor.
Upon arrival at the Crater’s rim you will descend 610 metres into the Crater where your safari truly begins. Spot the endangered black rhino as well as wildebeest, buffalo, zebra, eland, Grant’s and Thomson’s gazelle and of course, giant tusked elephants. The Crater also has the largest known population of lions and you will also find leopards and cheetahs as well as scavengers such as spotted hyenas, jackals and rare wild dogs. Over 500 species of birds have been recorded within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and these include white pelicans and flamingos.
In the late afternoon you will return to Maramboi Tented Camp.
Overnight – Maramboi Tented Camp, Tarangire
Day 4: Lake Manyara National Park (B, L)
Today you will visit Lake Manyara National Park for a full day game drive. Stretching along the base of the Rift Valley escarpment, Lake Manyara is home to giant fig trees, acacia woodlands, mahogany trees and grassy flood plains. The contrasts of this area are simply breathtaking with its open plains, huge escarpment, Soda Lake, dense woodlands, and distant volcanic peaks coming together in an area best described by Ernest Hemingway as “the loveliest I had seen in Africa”.
Animals such as large buffalo, wildebeest, giraffes, mongoose, dik dik and zebra herds congregate on the grassy plains while the narrow belt of acacia woodland is home to the legendary tree-climbing lions and tusked elephants.
Lake Manyara provides the perfect introduction to Tanzania’s bird life with more than 400 species being recorded. Highlights include thousands of pink-hued flamingos on their perpetual migration, as well as other large waterbirds such as pelicans, cormorants and storks.
In the late afternoon you will return to Arusha for your final evening.
Overnight – Mount Meru Hotel, Arusha
Day 5: Departure Day (B)
Today you will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight.
This is a private safari, run exclusively for you and each vehicle holds a maximum of 7 clients. If an accommodation is fully booked we’ll suggest a comparable alternative where possible. All prices quoted are per person in USD (US Dollars) and are subject to availability and expire on the 31st December 2019. Please contact us for a quote for travel in 2020 and beyond.
|Number of Travellers:||Price Per Person:|
|1 Traveller (1 Room)||$3,080|
|2 Travellers (1 Room)||$2,245|
|3 Travellers (2 Rooms)||$1,930|
|4 Travellers (2 Rooms)||$1,650|
|5 Travellers (3 Rooms)||$1,580|
|6 Travellers (3 Rooms)||$1,475|
|7 Travellers (4 Rooms)||$1,450|
TRAVELLING IN THE GREEN SEASON?
Exclusive Green Season rates apply for clients travelling in April and May. Please ask us for a Green Season safari quote.
YOUR SAFARI INCLUDES:
- Arrival transfer from Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport to hotel
- English speaking Driver Guide (other languages available upon request)
- Custom built, extended, open-roof 4WD safari Land Cruiser with fridge and inverter
- Accommodation as specified
- Meals as specified (B-breakfast, L-lunch and D-dinner)
- Drinks during game drives (bottled water and soda)
- Drinks at Maramboi Tented Camp (bottled water, soda, house wines and local beers)
- Unlimited game drives including park and vehicle entry fees
- Maasai Village visit
- Departure transfer from hotel to Kilimanjaro/Arusha Airport
- All current Government fees and taxes
ENHANCE YOUR SAFARI EXPERIENCE:
A Tanzanian holiday is a dream come true and a once in a lifetime experience for most of our clients. We understand that every traveller is different and we are proud to offer a range of optional activities to enhance your safari experience. Please note, all activities are subject to availability and prices are subject to change and we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
Night Game Drive in Tarangire on Day 2 – $182 per person: Night here is another world altogether. Witness the landscape waxed in a silver moonlight as giant elephants make their way into and out of the shadows and be sure to keep an eye out for predator eyes shining back at you from the spotlight. For logistical reasons we will need to book alternative accommodation at the Tarangire Safari Lodge located inside the Tarangire National Park and additional accommodation charges may apply. Please note, this tour is not suitable for children under 12 years.
Night Game Drive in Lake Manyara on Day 3 – $182 per person: Experience a whole new world of nocturnal animals inside the Lake Manyara National Park as you drive into the thick ground-water forest and continue towards the lake following the Simba River to the hippo pools. This night safari will give you an entirely different perspective of the park and wildlife. For logistical reasons we must book alternative accommodation at the Manyara Serena Safari Lodge located high on an escarpment with breathtaking views of Lake Manyara and additional accommodation charges may apply. Please note, this tour is not suitable for children under the age of 12.
Treetop Walkway in Lake Manyara on Day 4 – $47 per person: Walk among the treetops in Lake Manyara and experience untouched nature and wildlife from a unique perspective on Tanzania’s first treetop walkway, and at 370 metres, it is also one of Africa’s longest. It is an experience you’ll never forget. Duration: approx. 1 hour.
Cycling Tour and Mama Lunch in Manyara on Day 4 – $75 per person: Cycle through Mto wa Mbu Village where you will experience local life and enjoy the sights and sounds of this vibrant town before riding to a Mama’s house where you will feast on a traditional Tanzanian meal. Please note, this is a half day tour which runs in conjunction with a half day game drive in Lake Manyara National Park.
Add a Beverage Package – $20 per person: Add beer and wine to your safari. Please note, this package is not available to clients under the age of 18.
Add Dinner in Arusha – $30 per person: Add dinner in Arusha on nights 1 and 4 at the Ilboru Safari Lodge.
Arusha Day Tours – We offer Arusha City Tours (half or full day tours), Coffee Farm Tours, Night Tours with Dinner or visit the Lengo Football Academy with Village Walk. Please ask us for detailed tour descriptions and prices.
YOUR SAFARI EXCLUDES:
- Drinks at hotels, lodges and tented camps unless otherwise stated
- Tips (tipping is an expected, though not compulsory, component of any African safari. We are often asked for tipping guidelines and we recommend $10-15 USD for your Guide per person per day. It is one of the most direct ways that you can have a positive economic impact within the East African community. Although it may not be customary for you, it is of considerable significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, as an important source of income for those in the tourism industry).